Tuesday, September 25

Ever After

Once upon a modern time
There sprung, lively and young, two princesses
Frilly and pink. And mine, though none as surprised as me
Suddenly queen! By default (yes) and evil (of course) and hungry (as always) for control
That elusive illusion queens create, as if a crocodile-filled ring
‘Round the castle could offer fabled protection

But alas, the queen’s moat, her valiant attempts at protection
Fail time and again. Cradling princesses wracked with fever she checks the time
Dials the number, waits for the wisdom of the doctor. Ring, ring, ring
Monday morning no way she’ll get through, no way to help her princesses
Who are sick, or bleeding, having fallen to forces beyond Queenie’s control
That’s me

Queen perhaps, yet still just powerless me
I cannot offer real protection
I cannot stay in control
I catch myself, maybe, at a very dark time
Wondering who landed these princesses
At my feet. Who left me in charge. And the phone continues to ring

An absurd connection: I’m seventeen and listening breathlessly, for each ring
Holds such promise, if I can just wait those concert tickets will belong to me
Some have knights in shining armor, daddies who secure for their princesses
The golden tickets. Not me. My protection
Comes from planning. Getting there early. Calling on time
Maintaining total control

She is gasping for air and I am breathing too fast. I have lost control
Damn the phone that does nothing but ring
No time to wait, we rush her in, doctors say, just in time
They poke, and prod, then suddenly are rushing about, urging me
To relinquish my baby, give her to them for fixing, for protection
I do, sobbing, and scared. Do they know how to fix princesses?

Its hateful, the phony, fluffy world of princesses
Sugary pink dresses, tiny shoes and castles that pretend at control
I fell for it, stupid queen, and believed I could offer protection
Stupid queen, I believed in the power of my golden ring
And they, my princesses, believe blindly in me. They trust me
To save them from dragons that I don’t yet know, but surely will meet in time

Who needs protection? I’ll tell you it’s not the princesses
It’s the queen who needs time, with everything spinning out of control
Fighting for access to an inner ring, I clutch the princesses to me

1 comment:

the mama bird diaries said...

These sestinas are so cool and different. I love them. Look forward to reading more of your work! As a mom of two, I can definitely relate.